How To Minimize The Effects Of Allergy Season
With Edmonton’s weather in the mid-teens this week it looks like we’ve finally made it to spring! While the greenery poking through the snow is usually a comforting sight after a long (and especially cold!) winter, that new life can signal the start of a less-than-exciting time of year: allergy season.
What is supposed to be a beautiful and rewarding transition to spring can quickly turn into a never-ending head cold with sneezing, congestion and itchy eyes taking over your existence. Fortunately, the internet is full of useful tips to minimize the effects of your allergies during this time of year!
Some of these recommendations include the following:
- Stay inside on dry, windy days. Pollen is more active in these conditions, thereby increasing the risk of triggering your symptoms. Similarly, try to avoid outdoor activity when pollen levels are high. Check your local weather forecast to determine which days those might be.
- Take steps to ensure that any excess pollen that has attached itself to your clothing is not spread throughout your home. Removing your outdoor clothing and rinsing off in the shower is recommended. Also try to avoid hanging your laundry outside to dry in order to minimize contamination.
- Keep your car windows up while driving to prevent pollen, dust and mold particles from entering your vehicle.
- Conduct a thorough spring cleaning of your home. Using natural products like vinegar, baking soda, rubbing alcohol and lemon can minimize allergens and contribute to improved indoor air quality. Vacuuming, dusting and mopping your house regularly will also help to prevent the buildup of dust, pollen and mold in your home.
- Keeping pets off beds and other furniture as well as washing them more frequently will help minimize pollen transfer.
- If you have a forced air system in your home, using high-efficiency furnace filters and following regular maintenance schedules will help alleviate symptoms.
- Consider the use of antihistamines, decongestants and nasal rinses to minimize the effects of seasonal allergies.
Don’t let allergies prevent you and your family from enjoying these warmer Alberta days. With the Clean Air Club, we can help your family make the most of this early spring weather by ensuring your indoor air quality is at peak condition. Home delivery right when you need it. What could be easier?
Want to learn more? Check out these useful resources: